Do You Prefer Words?

Do You Prefer Words?
If you like creative writing, please visit Daily Dilemmas & Other Words

Please note

You can also see me on Instagram (as @sdcrafter) where I often post my craft pictures

Superman and the Lady

I hasten to add (to my title) that the Superman in question has nothing in common or inclination with the Lady. As you will see.

Superman (lookalike)


The man I made this card for is a comic hero fanatic. Which, now I come to think about it, sounds rather a worry. But I know him well. He is my son so he can't be anything to be concerned over. He just loves comics of the true form and he just happens to no longer be a lad.

A special edition of Making Cards Magazine came to my rescue. So, I suppose you could say, Superman himself in the form of this cut-out image, some striped paper, the Hero power splat and the sentiment, all collided onto my Promarkered card. And this year's birthday card was made.




The Lady (looks like she really is)


Avid readers of this blog will note other uses of this Kanban stamp (as seen here). This time out, I wanted to create elegance with the latter-day appeal of vintage. Without getting too distressed in the artistic sense of the word. The more original sense is currently true enough, thank you very much.



I stamped with some Creative Stamping Magazine stamps straight onto the card blank, rounded the corners, stamped the Lady onto cream card and Cuttlebugged her with a scalloped XCut die. A smaller diecut ensemble (posh now) made my sentiment. Some frippery embellishments and de-shanked vintage buttons completed my card for a very Special Friend.




I like making my own A5 card inserts. All I use is Microsoft Word (other desktop publishing packages are available). Look around for the right font to match your theme, era or desire. Add a suitable page border and all you will need to do is trim the A4 sheet a little and fold and glue and sit back to admire.

Note: my watermark was not on the original insert.





Summertime, and the livin' is easy...

Preamble


The words for my title come from the song by Ella Fitzgerald. I toyed with using Up, Up and Away as this would aptly describe the stamps I used for this project.

On the other hand, this is about a recycled card. I mean that the card is made from pre-loved materials from my come-in-handy stash box.

I keep offcuts in more-or-less rainbow order. Paper and card in the first set of folders; metallic and mirri card in the rear folders.

I DO NOT keep scraps that would get lost in the folders. Life is too short. But I place these in the household recycling, so that's OK, isn't it?


Ingredients


1 x 8" square white card
Little Claire Hot Air Balloons clear acrylic stamps
Little Claire Freedom stamp set for the sentiments
suitable card and papers from my stash box including:
- 'sky' vellum
- green cardstock for the stamped 'fields and hills'
- vertical plants for borders (on the card) - from the Papermania Secret Garden range
- various fragments of clear, blue and patterned vellum

Plus:

Memento ink from Tsukineko - I used Paris Dusk & Cottage Ivy
tiny brads for the centres of the flowers that I made using Little Claire Dinkies Flowerhead
Good quality yellow chalk
Powder Blue Promarker pen
and a ribbon from a box of chocolates, eaten long ago

Method


My background was an inspired cheat. I do not own or have any experience of a brayer so I made sunrays directly onto the white card using the yellow chalk. This I covered with the sky vellum, only gluing the borders that I knew I was going to cover.

I stamped the hills with the Cottage Ivy Memento ink pad and adhered the border to the base of the card front. I trimmed the outer edges then added the seasonal border strip from the Secret Garden papers.

My side borders also came from the Secret Garden papers. I curved the edges of these borders to suggest movement.

Each balloon stamp was stamped once onto plain cardstock (all scraps), then again onto patterned Secret Garden papers. I used Memento Paris Dusk for this. I cut out the balloon section of the patterned stamping and adhered this to the plain balloon stamping. Now I had three balloons with white showing among their strings (or ropes?), so I lightly inked these spaces with the Powder Blue Promarker.

I also stamped the sentiments on white card and then cut around in the shape of clouds. I edged these with the Paris Dusk ink.

All the stamped items were adhered to the vellum sky with its underlying sunrays. I used shallow foam pads to give depth to the whole picture.

Then came the flowers...I stamped nine impressions on the pieces of vellum I had taken from my stash file. I then cut them out (carefully), shaped them with my rounded tool, pierced each one and layered them in threes before using small brads to secure each flower. These were adhered to my card with sticky dots.

Last of all, on went the ribbon with its jewelled tie, straight from the stash of ribbons-that-came-with-something-else (more often boxes of chocolates than not.)

Conclusion



Update: How lovely - I won the Challenge - see here